Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Menu Plannign!

Next on my list to save money and be more organized is Menu Planning!

I challenge you to do the same! If you menu plan and stick to it you will save money as you will have a list of items you need when you go to the grocery and STICK TO IT!! That is the hard part, sticking to only your grocery list. There is always the exceptions when you see something you need but forgot to add it to the list, but this doesn't include the yummy looking brownies in the bakery area or those chips that look good. If you can stick to your grocery list you will save money.

Another benefit is not having to go through "What am I going to cook for dinner tonight" as you already know!

Here is my advice on starting menu planning!

~First figure out what meals you family likes, and what you cook alot! Make a list of it. Some people plan out dinner only and other's plan out Breakfast lunch and dinner. I am a Stay at home mom, so for me it makes the most sense to do all 3! Takes the guess work out for me and makes our day go smoother!

~Second Get something to write it down! This can be a piece of paper with spots for each day, a dry erase board you make with the days etc! Whatever works best for you! Put it someplace where you will see it like the fridge. It is up to you how far in advance you want to plan meals! I am new to doing it so I am starting out with a week at a time! I suggest you do the same! I hope to someday get to where I can do a month at a time but for now starting out slow is the best way to go!

~Third make your first Meal Plan for the week! Write down what you will be making as we'll as the sides to go with it. You can do one day of leftovers if you like and if your budget allows one night of eating out! It is up to you! Right now we have all 7 days planned out as meals. I usually cook what we eat so we don't have alot of leftovers, I am sure that will change as the kids get older and I am cooking more food.

~Fourth make your grocery list! Look in your pantry, fridge and freezer first to see what you have (you may want to do this before in determining what you will make that week). Then add the things you need to buy to make your meals for the week. Don't forget to add other items you need as well, toiletries etc. Keep in mind spices, there is nothing worse than getting you meal together and then realizing you don't have a spice you need.

~Fifth Make your meals!! Remember to pull out anything from the freezer the day before! Have fun, get the family in on the cooking, and even the meal planning!

Another good thing that will help save you money is starting a Pantry Stockpile. I will be starting this as we'll and will have a post on it this week so look forward to that!!

1 comment:

  1. I need ideas!!
    This is my problem. We eat a lot of beef and I feel like I am stuck on a few of the same recipes. Any ideas for different meals?

    ReplyDelete